1.13.2013

SOUNDTRACK OF YOUR LIFE

I'd like to quote it from Andi Eigenmann's blog
"Everybody dances to their own boom boom."

So for today, let me share to you the detailed history and evolution of my music tastes and  my favorite songs. 

Let me start with the very first song I have memorized and sang full length. It was "The Greatest Love of All". I was, I think seven or eight (? ) and Mom bought a tape of children's songs. Among us children, I was the one who had the most interest in the tape.

I remember standing beside our old and sturdy karaoke, holding the copy of the songs (the ones that come with the tape) and singing my heart out. My sister used to laugh at me because I guess I looked stupid. And up to now, she still teases me about it. Haha. But looking back, it was worth it specially that I have now understood the meaning of the song. Memorizing that song at at an early age contributed so much in developing my self-esteem. Pero chos lang. Haha. 




Then there was a phase when all boy bands showed up. Backstreet Boys, Westlife, A1--- you name it.
But I loved Blue the most. I remember having a big crush on Duncan James 'cause he brings out the best in me.<3



But if there was someone whom I had the biggest obsession with, it has to be MARIAH CAREY. I love Mimi and her sexy voice. Every other girls liked Britney or Christina but I was all in for Mariah. I remember promising to myself that I'd always write "Mariah Carey" in the "Favorite Singer" part  of every slumbook that I get to fill up for. Haha.

I love her song "We Belong Together" the most.
It's my videoke anthem as well as one of my shower songs.



But now my music preferences sort of widened. Through the years, I've found myself filling my playlist with songs that are soulful, dreamy, smooth and soothing. Yung malambot sa tenga and pampatulog kind of songs. I think Mellow is the right genre to say. Mostly I like indie songs. Most of the artists are not known but their music is so good and the lyrics are beautifully written.

Here's my TOP 5:

TOP 1 - SOUL PURPOSE by NIGHTMARES ON WAX



This song will always be my number one feel-good song, the ultimate chillax song. It only has a few short lyrics and for the most part, it's instrumental. But I love it. Never fails to lighten up my mood when I am having a bad day and it makes me think of the beach or the next roadtrip.

TOP 2 - LIKE A STAR BY CORINNE BAILEY RAE



I love most of Corinne Bailey Rae's songs and this one's on the top of my list. It never fails to get me. It tickles my hopeless romantic bones. As in this song is romantic in the truest essence. That song you just want to dedicate to someone. Ha! Cheesy :))

TOP 3 - FLIGHTLESS BIRD, AMERICAN MOUTH BY IRON & WINE



You've probably heard this song while watching Twilight. This was Bella & Edward's first dance song. Again, the soft, dreamy and romantic element is there. This song is my lullaby. So soothing and calming. But the lyrics are quite difficult to comprehend. Still, I love this song. Never fails to put me off to slumber.

TOP 4 - HOW TO LOVE BY LIL WAYNE



I think this is everyone's favorite. Most girls are swooning over this song and I am no exception. I remember hearing this song over the radio for the first time, and it was love at first beat. Actually, parang lasing si pareng Lil Wayne dito. Pero yun yung charm ng song eh. Haha. I didn't choose to post the official music video because it had too much acting. Jejejeje. Peace.

TOP 5 - DEEPER CONVERSATION BY YUNA


(Just in case you don't know Yuna, here is her official website.)

She is a favorite of mine because her songs mostly have deep meanings but hidden in mundane words. Also, most of her songs are unpretentiously titled with just a single word like, "Tourist", "Coffee", "Sparkle", "Decorate". For me that's catchy. This one here makes it to my top 5 simply because of the lyrics and meaning. I believe that everything can change just by that one deep conversation.
It's so honest and real. I love that.



And oh, let me squeeze in timeless classics that I like:

SHE'S ALWAYS A WOMAN BY BILLY JOEL

"She can ruin your faith with her casual lies,
And she only reveals what she wants you to see."



VINCENT (STARRY STARRY NIGHT) BY DON MCLEAN

"For they could not love you
But still your love was true
And when no hope was left inside
On that starry, starry night"




Darn, I sound as if I'm a know-it-all music critique. Haha.
But yeah, there you go --- my favorite songs.


How about yours?
What's your boom boom?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...