12.31.2015

2015


As always, I am stumped on how to summarize another year especially if it's a memorable one. Far more different than the previous years but then no years are just as similar. What makes a year memorable? When you say memorable, does it only consist of the happy and the good memories? I think not. 2015 was memorable for me because it was one hell of a mix of the good, the bad, the struggling, the happy, the terrifying, and all the little moments in between.

TRAVELS
Let's start with the good and happy. In 2015 I am grateful for my little travels. I had the chance to go and see new places (beaches most especially) for the first time. There was the road trip to Dahican, Mati last March, long-weekend in Cebu last May, company outing at Pearl Farm, college friends reunion at San Remigio, Samal and the office team adventure at Aliwagwag Falls, Cateel. 

The world (or rather the Universe) is so big and inch by inch I want to see the beauty of it. For 2016, the exploring doesn't stop!

PROMOTION
For 2015, I am most thankful for my unexpected promotion. Funny that I just associate myself before to Andy Sachs of The Devil Wears Prada (see post) and now, I am a real life Andy Sachs-ish since I became an Executive Assistant except my boss is not as scary as Miranda Priestly and my industry is far from the print/magazine industry. Haha. This year was having the courage to say yes and taking up the challenge. If it's meant for you, it will be yours. I have to give where credit is due, thank you to the people behind who saw my potential! 


CRISIS
But on a serious note, God's Hands really move in mysterious ways especially the promotion happened after a very struggling family crisis. Of course there's no way this is to be elaborated as it is personal but one thing I learned: rely on God completely as you can surpass anything (ANYTHING) through His strength. This particular crisis put things in perspective. I've learned to look what's around and actually care what's really going on especially within the family. In the midst of the trying times, you just know who the real people you can count on. There will only be few, I tell you.

WORKOUT
One of the things I am proud of this 2015 has to be Zumba! I mean it's the one little thing I'm faithful to every Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Aside from the love for dancing I never knew I had, the motive for joining Zumba was really to be fit. Before, I'd be on Instagram and stalk #thinspirations, #bodygoals and #fitnessgoals people only to realize that these models and celebrities are thin because it's part of their job, they are paid to do that! So it's a bit unrealistic to set my body standards similar to theirs. They have the luxury of time to spend at the gym, unlike me, a mere mortal, whose day job consists of a lot of sitting whole day (a bit sedentary). To compensate, I regularly walk home after work.

Anyway, my whole point is, find a workout that you'll love and be committed to. Set realistic #bodygoals. Personally, this 2015 I've come to terms that I'll never be as skinny as I was back when I was a college kid. The pounds I've gained are here to stay and I'm okay with that. I look healthier and more nourished with additional flesh. :)
LEARNING
That list when you were a romantic teenager where you wrote "to speak a foreign language"? JUST LEARN IT! Another thing I really learned this 2015 is that you don't get anything from mere wishing. You gotta do something about it. Convert your words into actions.

I've been drawn to learn French but I figure it's better to learn Spanish first since some Filipino words are from Spanish words. At the moment I'm 23% fluent in Spanish according to Duolingo app which I consider a little feat as well. I can cope a little with written Spanish. A little photographic memory can be useful here and there. But listening to a native Spanish speaker and understanding? It's still a challenge. But of course, every learning has to start somewhere. 67% to go!


POSTING
This 2015 I had the courage to participate in online forums, initiate an online conversation  and publicly commenting instead of just lurking and scrolling the Internet. It helps you voice out your stand instead of just having a mere opinion. I don't know if this is worth reading but personally, doing little things like this is a feat I consider.

For the year has been and the year to come, I'm grateful. Every year is just another opportunity to become a better person. Every year is just another chance of getting closer to your dreams and goals. Every year something just changes you. I don't want to over-romanticize life anymore as I usually do. You just gotta have to take life with a grain of salt. :)

And I quote my favorite travel blogger, Trisha Velarmino: "I wish you'll always be grateful with life - good or bad experiences they count."

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...